A simple but tasty dish for lunch provided by the famous Wonderful (Aunty) Wendy and the magnificent Kayla Eve.
A few quick tips in addition to those provided by the Aunt:
- If like us you can’t have spinach (another recommendation by the doctor in preventing kidney stones) then this is great with lettuce. It can be a little plain though with lettuce so I would put a homemade honey vinaigrette with it if you choose this option.
- I grew up with tinned beetroot. In fact, until today, I didn’t realise you could just peel then eat a beetroot. Yes I live under a rock – that’s why the motto is now Be Like Nike (Just Do It!). The impact of my sheltered beetroot life means that a regular beetroot just doesn’t cut it in flavour so I’ll be redoing the same recipe with the preservative filled good stuff. It pains me to say that but the raw beetroot just didn’t have the kick I’m used to.
- Remember to wear gloves when peeling the beetroot!
- We tried this without the addition of any meat which meant it came to a measly 124 calories. This left space for a Strawberry Vanilla Vodka smoothie!! What can I say, if my Aunt says I should drink, who am I to say no?
The Brilliant Creation Salad
- 1kg pumpkin
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 zucchini
- 1 medium beetroot
- 100grams almonds
- 10 green beans
- 100 grams English spinach
- 100grams feta
- Meat of your choice see note
- Peel and dice pumpkin. Lightly oil and lightly sprinkle with paprika. Roast until cooked. Cool.
- Food processor – grate the carrots zucchini and peeled beetroot.
- Blanch the beans and cut into pieces. Wilt the spinach. Chop almonds. Add beans, spinach, almonds to the beetroot/carrot/zucchini mixture.
- Crumble the feta into the mixture and toss.
- Add meat of your choice.
Notes- if you line the tray with baking paper you only have to wipe the tray. As it takes a while to cool, you may need to have a drink (vodka, wine) while you are waiting and after your hard work of cutting.
If you use a food processor for grating then you can add everything to the processor bowl and save on washing up.
We had prawns with this but thin slices of beef, chicken, salmon whatever you have would be good. Also could use up left over roasts, ham or whatever.
Watch the paprika. Got a little over zealous and some was a bit over sprinkled but still yummy.
After all that hard work and as you are having a very healthy meal you could indulge and have a drink… 🙂