A recipe provided to my by my Aunty Wendy… I cooked this up for breakfast although be pre-warned with how long it stays on the stove, it was more like brunch. Steve and I both agreed served over corn chips with melted cheese is the only option or as Aunty Wendy put it: Serve with Corn Chips and Beer according to Josh and Kayla (the ‘kids’)
I should also call out that as someone who doesn’t like a huge amount of spice or chilli, I substituted this with sweet chilli but still it has quite a kick so be prepared. The other half said he really enjoyed it with the fried egg.
Wendy’s Chilli Con Carne
- 1 Medium Onion, finely diced
- 3 heaped Teaspoon Garlic, minced
- 500grams Mince
- 1 tin Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Beef stock cube
- 1 ½ Tins of Water
- 2 heaped Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 ½ level teaspoons Minced Chilli (adjust to taste)
- 1 1/2teaspoon Paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 tin of Kidney Beans, drained and washed
- Over medium heat, add onions to pot and cook until soft. Add garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add mince and cook until browned.
- Add diced tomatoes, stock cube, water, tomato paste, minced chilli, Paprika and Cayenne pepper. Simmer for a least two hours, longer if possible. Add more water if becomes too thick.
- Add kidney beans and simmer for further half hour.