I am told this chicken bake was a family favourite for my cousins and having now tried it, I’m disappointed it didn’t appear in my childhood home more often. It was quick, simple and will become a regular in this household.
A few quick points we discovered while cooking:
- We didn’t have green capsicum so substituted with a couple of cups of broccoli florets. I am biased as I love broc but I can’t imagine the dish without it. I am sure you could pop in whatever is in the fridge and it will be fine
- I had chicken thighs on hand and not reading the recipe properly threw it in raw. By the time I put everything else in it was mostly cooked and it was well and truly done after half an hour at 180. I’m not dead yet so I assume the pre-cooking of the chicken is an optional extra.
- Sherry does not appear in our panty so we left it out. I wasn’t able to taste test before baking due to the raw chicken but I would have added a bit more mustard or white wine to compensate.
Crunchy Chicken Bake
- 1 large cooked chicken
- 30g butter or margarine
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 tsp french mustard
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 green capsicum, de-seeded, quartered
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 6 slices stale bread, crumbed
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 90g butter
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Skin and bone the chicken and chop flesh
- Melt butter over a low heat then mix in the flour. Cook for a few minutes as this reduces the floury-taste. Add the milk and cook until the sauce thickens slightly
- Stir in the mustard then the chicken
- Add the vegetables, lemon juice and sherry then transfer to a greased oven proof dish
- Combine the breadcrumbs and parsley then sauté in the butter
- Cool slightly then combine with the parmesan
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the casserole
- Bake for 30 minutes.