Ugh. 40 degrees. Yesterday I was walking home and the heat was so severe at 6pm that despite the sun being below the surrounding buildings, I had the sensation of getting sunburnt. Ugh. For the last 2 months Melbournians have been complaining about the long winter (the one I’ve been revelling in) and today, they were complaining about their second day of summer. *Head slap!*
They were even talking about bringing ice creams into a 4 hour meeting for afternoon tea instead of muffins etc. I have 2 fundamental issues with this:
- On the way to work this morning at 7am (already 30+) people were SITTING OUTSIDE IN THE 30 DEGREE HEAT DRINKING COFFEE
- Because we don’t live in the 18th century, we work in an office with air conditioning
Lets re-assess here. Melbourne people sit in the heat and drink coffee then go into the air conditioning and eat ice creams. Good god.
Despite my passionate dislike for summer, we decided to get in the spirit of things and throw a shrimp on the barbie, mate. Our week has been so bad in trialling new meals that Steve said last night “perhaps next week we could just have a roast”. Luckily tonight, we were redeemed and yummy was on the menu. Best part, so was simplicity. A very quick and easy meal with melt in your mouth results. I am fond of prawns but can find them a little too seafoody at times (even when super fresh) but this recipe? There are no words. It is going into our pool of regular unbeatable menu items. I’m sure it’ll make it into yours too!
Honey Lime Prawns
- 12 raw banana prawns shelled and de-poop shooted
- 1 tsp oil (we used vegetable)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 ‘squirt’ of lime juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Season with salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a freezer bag and give it a good mix to work in the flavour
- Pop into the fridge for 15-20 minutes
- Cook for a couple of minutes each side in a fry pan over medium heat
- Serve with veges of choice or what is available in the fridge/pantry!